Monday, October 19, 2015

What's This?

Kiddo now asks "what's this?"  With those two words, a new door has been opened in Kiddo's life.  With those two words, Kiddo has now learned:

  • what a scare crow is
  • what those "Caution, Slippery When Wet" signs on the floor are actually all about
  • how to use a toy he had never seen before at Grandma and Grandpa's house
  • and what a tube of diaper rash cream is and what it's used for.
It's amazing how those two little words can make my heart burst with pride.  Because, well, he's always been behind his peers in speech and language.  I've gotten used to it.  It's all I've known for both of my boys.  But what makes my mama heart ache, is wondering what Kiddo wonders about but has no way to express.  I'm convinced Kiddo has a little engineer's brain in that smart head of his.  How many things does he not understand but wants to?  What things does he want to learn more about?  Is he even aware that he has these thoughts and questions, or has he gotten so used to just knowing the things he's told and that's it?  

I should clarify and add that Kiddo has asked questions other ways.  He'll say his usual words or phrases with that raised voice sound at the end to make them into a question.  For example, he'll ask "Go bye bye?" and I might say "Not right now," and he'll say, "Ok.  Later?"  So yes, he was asking questions before, but not using those question words like "who, what, when, where and why."

Well, things are different now. I now have two kiddos asking me the question "What's this?" and a journey of discovery awaits all of us.  I am beyond excited.

My cool, questioning dudes.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome news! Thanks for sharing! Keep those questions coming, guys!

    ReplyDelete