Sunday, April 12, 2015

Essential Oils for Special Needs

Essential oils are the oils extracted from plant parts (flowers, bark, leaves, etc) used for aromatic or even medical purposes.  Each oil has different benefits, and there are so many testimonies of people experiencing healing using particular essential oils that I just had to give it a try.


There are several oils that I use for myself personally, and some I use for the kiddos, and since this is a blog about the kiddos, I will share the oils I use for them and what I've experienced from them.  I always buy my essential oils from Young Living.  I put about 20 drops of an oil in a roller bottle, fill it the rest of the way with sweet almond oil or fractionated coconut oil (to dilute), and then I can roll the bottle on their feet, back of neck, across forehead, etc (follow directions closely about where to apply topically) without having to pour it into my hands and then feel like I'm wasting the oils.  

Please know that I'm not an expert on essential oils, but I've done quite a bit of research, which I recommend you do if you are new to essential oils.  I am just sharing our experiences with you.  


So, without further ado, the oils I use for the kiddos:


Thieves essential oil is the first oil I tried, as the kiddos got colds often and they would last for daaaays and result in croup and terrible coughs and other yuckiness.  It's a blend of oils that kill viruses and bacteria in the body if applied topically, or throughout the house if diffused.  Any time the kiddos get the sniffles or anything more significant, I pull out the diffuser and diffuse this throughout the house, in their rooms, etc.  I also apply to the bottoms of their feet in the morning and before bed until they are feeling better.  I ran out of Thieves a few months ago and forgot to reorder.  Man, do I regret that.  Kiddo got REALLY sick--terrible cough, couldn't sleep at night, and the poor kid had a sore red mustache from all the constant wiping of his runny nose.  I quickly reordered more Thieves, but it took several days to get to us, and by the time it got to us, he was feeling better.  But I'm pretty sure that if I had been using Thieves he would have recovered much more quickly and it wouldn't have gotten so severe.  Love this stuff, and the smell reminds me a little bit of Christmas, because of the cloves and cinnamon in it.


Brain Power is a favorite of ours.  This is a blend of oils that is supposed to help with mental focus, and I read was great for kids with speech delays.  I apply it to the kiddos on the back of their necks, and across the forehead in the morning and at night.  Kiddo likes me to massage a little bit on his big toes.  Kiddo is making huge strides with his speech, his understanding of things around him, and his social skills.  I don't know if it's the essential oils or just maturity helping with this, but I keep using the oils and keep seeing him blossom before my eyes, so I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.  I use it for Little Brother too, and when I forget to put some on him in the morning I notice he's a little bit more hyperactive.  I think it's because there's lavender and other calming oils in Brain Power.  Also love the smell of this one.


Peace and Calming is the newest oil to my collection, and I've been using it on Little Brother due to his hyperactivity, impulsivity, and strong-willed nature that can drive me crazy.  It does seem to make him a lot more manageable, and Hubster and I were talking about how he's been a lot more fun to be around lately.  Don't know if he's just maturing or if it's the oil, but I'm not going to stop using it!  I've also read that it's great for kiddos with sensory processing disorder, because it helps calm the nervous system down, and so I use it on both kiddos (sorry, I looked and looked for the link where I read that but can't find it).  I like the scent, it's kind of citrusy, and I use it too when I'm feeling stressed or anxious. It's also great for helping little ones fall asleep.  I use it sometimes myself, when I can't get my anxious mind to stop whirling to help me settle down and fall asleep.  This was also a life saver when Little Brother started having night terrors.  This oil would calm him right down and help him fall asleep quickly after a night terror, and with prayer and continual use of this oil before bed, the night terrors haven't returned.



Valor is another favorite, and I love using it myself.  It is a blend that is supposed to help with confidence and relieve anxiety.   Kiddo is very cautious and very anxious about trying new things, and so I love putting some Valor on him before we go to OT or PT, where he will be asked to try new things.  He used to whine about any new activity or skill the therapist was trying to get him to do, or he would try and avoid it, but now he's much better about doing what the therapist asks him to do.  Again, whether it's the oil or just maturity, I dunno, but I like the changes I see in him so I keep doing what I'm doing. 





Joy is an awesome oil for relieving depression and tension, as well as helping someone open up.  I was using Joy myself for depression when my older son walked in and saw me using it and indicated he wanted some.  I rubbed a drop over his heart.  He was a quiet child, kept very much to himself and was very stoic in his expressions, rarely ever smiling or laughing.  Within about twenty minutes of applying this oil over his heart he was laughing and running around the house.  His speech therapist that afternoon said she had never seen him be so sweet and playful.  And on and on the stories went.  This oil helped awaken my stoic child to embrace our world and find joy in it, and it is my absolute favorite oil because of that.  Now, I'm not saying your child will have an amazing, miraculous reaction to Joy, but there will be one oil that your child really responds to.  Find it, and your life will never the same.  



Other oils that are helpful for various special needs are:


  • Lavender for calming and sleep (we've used this for a while).  Also great for ear infections--put a few drops on a cotton ball and insert in the ears for relief of ear infection pain.
  • Frankincense (which is in both Brain Power and Valor blends) as well as Sacred Frankincense are reported to help with speech and focus.  Frankincense has the ability to go through the brain barrier and help stimulate brain function as well as general healing.
  • Cedarwood can help with focus
  • Grounding is great for helping one focus on the here and now--great for those who live in their own little world or are so excited by new ideas and possibilities they can't focus on the current moment.
  • Vetiver for ADHD and calming the mind and body down.
  • Di-Gize for help with digestion.  Rub a drop diluted on tummy for constipation, upset tummy or diarrhea.
  • Peppermint can also help with digestion, but isn't recommended for children under the age of 5.  It must be diluted with a carrier oil (we use almond oil) to use on children.  Rub a drop diluted with carrier oil clockwise around belly button.  Can also help with concentration and focus.  Love this oil!
  • The Reconnect Kit has four oils specifically formulated for children with special needs.  Haven't tried it, but I've heard great things about it.
  • GeneYus is an oil from the Reconnect Kit that is similar to Brain Power, but cheaper, if you want to try it rather than Brain Power.  But since we have Brain Power, we're going to keep doing what we're doing.
  • Clarity is another oil that can help with focus and attention.  We tried it, but didn't really notice a difference, and so we're sticking with using Brain Power.
  • Lemongrass is great for muscle tone, so if your child has cerebral palsy or hypotonia, add some lemongrass essential oil to a carrier oil and massage into the muscles.

Leave any comments or questions in the comment section below, I would love to help you.  If you need help ordering oils from Young Living, shoot me an email, I would be glad to help you out!  

Happy oiling!

P.S. Feel free to check out my Facebook page for special needs mamas or follow me on Pinterest. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment